We have a Makerbot Sketch 3D printer here at our library! You can print your own 3D designs or print out a project you found online! Curious about our printer? Here are some frequently asked questions:
You can create your own design using a variety of 3D software like AutoCAD or Blender. If you're a beginner and looking for a great place to start, try out TinkerCad. It's a free online software that teaches you the basics of building in 3D. The website is TinkerCad.com and all you need to start is an email address, no download required and you can use it anywhere.
Yes you can! Just make sure the file you find is available in STL format for printing.
Here are a couple of sites that you can find 3D designs:
There are some things we are just not able to print. If there is an issue with a print job you have submitted we will let you know.
We have a Makerbot Sketch 3D printer.
Printing in plastic can be relatively inexpensive. We will be charging by the time it takes to print your item. $1.00 for the first hour and $0.50 for every hour after.
It can take anywhere from 25 minutes to 24 hours or more depending on the project and the number of pieces. Our 3D printer is pretty popular, too, so plan ahead.
Our printer can only print in one solid colour but we have a couple to choose from. We have black, blue, grey, yellow and white available right now. If you want to make something in multiple colours you can print the project in white or grey and paint over it in acrylic paint.
The largest size that we can print in one piece is 15 cm length x 15 cm width x 15 cm height. You can print larger projects in pieces and connect them together if it will not print within that size.
Once we receive your print request we may contact you to address any potential concerns with your print. Library staff will not edit your design in any way other than changing the size with your permission, but staff may inform you if there are reasons your design will not print as desired.
3D Printing Guidelines:
- We reserve the right to refuse print requests if: they are outside the capabilities of our printer; are weapons or parts of weapons; could be considered obscene or hateful.
- Our 3D printer is used for primarily non-commercial purposes. If you require a large amount of a single file printed we may refer you to a commercial 3D printing service.
- If your object is not claimed within 2 months of printing we will assume ownership of the object.
- Some objects require support and adhesive aids. You are responsible for the purchase and removal of this material.
- Files uploaded to our server will be deleted after your object has been printed. If you require future copies, please retain your files for future submission.
- We will always endeavour to print the oldest item in the print queue, through we reserve the right to reassign priorities on a case-by-case basis.
DISCLAIMER: 3D printing is a new technology, and its use is primarily experimental. We cannot guarantee the quality or usability of objects produced. Objects created by this service often have sharp edges and/or are brittle, are not food safe, and are not suitable for use by small children.
Submit your order on this online form.